August 3, 2009

Talentcomp : If you love something



The fam got together last night at a Malaysian restaurant to celebrate my sis-in-law's birthday. After we gorged ourselves on curries and delicious things I was playing with my niece on my lap, she was trying to put my hair up my nose. After a while she cackled and said "Aunty Kris is funny." Made my night. What a little gem.

I think laughing at yourself is so important. Last week I spilled tea on my laptop. All over it. Ruined it. I was devastated, really down on myself and terribly annoyed. After I took it into Apple and realised repair costs for this would be too expensive, so I'll have to buy a new one, I let myself feel sad for a minute and then realised - hey, I'm healthy, hubby's healthy, puppy's healthy, the fam is healthy, I have a magical life and this isn't going to bring me down! So I laughed at myself for being a dork and moved on.

Happily, Am, the self-taught graphic artist behind 3LambsGraphics chuckles at her own flaws too. Her prints here have really brightened my day... as have her answers. Here she is...


What makes you laugh?

Ironies and idiosyncrasies - the little things you notice about people and situations that make you laugh, but also endear them to you and make them memorable. And I laugh at myself - a lot! I'm not the most coordinated person...


What other creative outlets do you have?

Photography is my other love. I always have a camera on me! I collect old film cameras as well, most of which are sadly neglected at the moment. It's finally warmer here, though, so I'm hoping to use quite a few of them before the summer is over.

I'd really like to learn how to use metal clay, just for fun. It seems so versatile, but I'm a bit intimidated by the firing and polishing aspects!


What are you reading?


I always love Martha Stewart, especially for color palette ideas. HOW Magazine and Print are great as well. Flipping through their design annuals always helps me get over artist's block.


What are your fave blogs?

For blogs, I can't help checking out Just Something I Made on a daily basis. She's always coming up with original and creative projects, and she posts wonderful freebies (many of them vintage!). Design*Sponge, Modish, Housemartin, The Dieline, and Green Island Studios are other favorites. I also read quite a few cooking and baking blogs - messing around in the kitchen always de-stresses me! Smitten Kitchen, Orangette, Dorie Greenspan, Chocolate & Zucchini, and Creampuffs in Venice all have delicious recipes and great stories to go along with them.



Pics from top:
If You Love Something, Set it Free; The Feathered Family; Dandelion Wishes; Blossoming Dogwood and Yield to Love.
3lambsgraphics.etsy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment