July 20, 2009

Talentcomp : Slightly twisted does it for me


I've just had the most unexpected weekend. Hubby was away Friday night and working like crazy until Saturday night, so I made the whimsical (and somewhat mad) decision to paint his office. At 4pm I was in a cab picking up the perfect blue-grey (Porter's Explorer Blue), by 6:30 I had moved out as much as I could from his very full room and by 10:30pm I had finished the base coat. 7am on Sat I started on the blue and I was amazed at how serene the colour was. By 5pm I was done. And very, very sore. See I'm not good on ladders, especially not when they're sitting precariously against a wall (I didn't have much room to move around - his desks and one bookcase were too heavy to shift very far. Where the ladder wouldn't fit I was standing on my bedside table!)

Anyhoo he loves it. He put up his wooden blinds, we moved things back in and it looks twice as big (the original colour was dark orangey-red). I'm so thrilled! I only wanted to do it as a surprise because he's been working so hard, but what I didn't expect was to learn so much from the experience. I really pushed myself way past my limits to get it done (when I said precarious ladder angles I meant it! Plus horrible dizziness at the thought of falling off, a super tired body... you get the idea). So as my body recovers I feel mentally stronger... kinda hard to explain but I feel brilliant today! Bruised and tired and absolutely wonderful!

Speaking of some kind of wonderful, photographer Sherri Wilson Conley has shared some extremely pretty pics here on the blog. I'll let the rest of the post come from her...


Do you have any hidden talents?
Like tying a knot in a cherry stem with your tongue? Patting your head while rubbing your tummy? No, can't do any of that stuff. How about this... I think I could be a real good carpenter. I'm pretty mechanically inclined and I love working with wood and even own my own band saw! The smell of sawdust takes me back to the days when my Dad was working downstairs in his workshop when I was young. He was always making something with his hands. Of course, he taught me everything I know about woodworking.



Who are your favourite authors?
I really don't have any favourite authors. I read all kinds of books, fiction and non-fiction, on a variety of subjects. Sometimes I read two at a time. I just finished reading John by Cynthia Lennon, before that a book by Dr. Wayne Dyer and a few by Eckhart Tolle. The next in line to read is Nights in Rodanthe by Nicholas Sparks, Your Erroneous Zones by Dr. Wayne Dyer, and Healing Words by Larry Dossey.



What makes you laugh?

Quick, dry wit and slightly-twisted humour does it for me. Dave Barry and Garrison Keillor are two of my favorite humorists and are great to read if you want a lift! I love to hear friends tell stories on themselves, you know, the embarrassing kind where they just wanted to crawl under a rock...but they share it with you and it's so darn funny you both laugh until you cry? They're the best! And my two daughters can quickly bring me to tears from laughing fits and it happens frequently...usually in public!



Pics from top down: Soft, Flying into the Night, A Hint of Pink, Laughter is the Best Medicine and X's and O's.

More: sherriconley.etsy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment